The hotel and hospitality industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. It, however, faces a constant shortage of qualified manpower and hotel management specialists to lead it. Currently,approximatelyoneoutof tenpeoplearoundtheworldare employedinthehospitalityindustry.
Countries like China have moved way ahead of India in several sectorsincludingtourismandhospitality.Evensmallercountrieslike Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore are earning a lot through this industry.
Indiahasalsorealizedtheimportanceofthehospitalitysectorandthe Central Government, along with the State Governments, are now planning to revive the tourism, hotel and hospitality industry. An immediatesteptowardshelpingthisindustryistopayattentiontothe scarcity of trained staff in thisfield.
One can notice several initiatives being taken in setting up educational institutions to train students in the field of ‘Hotel Management, Hospitality, Catering Technology, Travel and Tourism’. There seems to be no doubt that these students will see tremendous job opportunities and have great growth potential.
Job Opportunities: Hotel/Hospitality Management Graduates
Globalgrowthanddevelopmentoftourismhaveprovidedseveral job opportunitiesforgraduatesinthehospitalitysector.
Itisclearlya myththatHotelManagementisonlyforthosewhowant tobecomechefsorcooks.HotelManagement graduatescangetjobs in the Service Sector and this stream has today emerged as an academicstreamthatiscreatingspecialistsforseveralsectionsofthe Service Sector such as airlines, ships, cruises, banks, insurance companies,travelandtourismagencies,etc
Further with India emerging as a popular tourist and business destination,onecanforeseehugejobopportunitiesforthesestudents in firms within the travel and tourismindustry.Today, Health and Fitnessare also emerging as important sectors that promise great growth potential. Hospitality graduates are in great demand by organisationsinthesesectors.
This academic stream also provides several Entrepreneurship opportunities. These students can start catering agencies that serve corporate houses or institutions or even private functions. The studentscanstarttheirownconfectionery,bakeryhouses,etc.These sectors definitely provide lucrative business opportunities for students.
Metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Gurgaon, etc. haveseenaspurtinhuge ShoppingMalls.TheHospitalitygraduates can very easily be absorbed in these service-oriented organizations also.
Let’s look at some of the main job options:
· Customer relations executive in hotels and other Service Sectors.
· Kitchen management/housekeeping management trainee in hotels.
· Airlines catering and cabin services.
· Ships and cruises as customer relations officers or catering officers/chefs.
· Restaurants and fast food joints.
· Health and fitness centres.
· Travel and tourism companies
· Executives in tourism development corporations and resorts
· Clubs and Recreation centres
· Hospital administration and catering.
· Institutional and industrial catering for big corporate houses
· Manufactures and suppliers of hotel and restaurant equipment and services
· Teaching at hotel management and catering institutes
· Banks and Insurance Houses
· Government-owned catering departments, for example, railways, armed forces, ministerial conventions, etc.
· Food, confectionery, beverage production industries, etc.